Saturday, September 4, 2010

Controversial tape claims Mahara sought Rs 500 m from China to buy lawmakers

REPUBLICA

KATHMANDU, Sept 4: Various TV stations here have aired a controversial and explosive audio tape, supposedly of a phone conversation between Maoist leader Krishna Bahadur Mahara and a Chinese official.

In the phone conversation, Mahara (as claimed by the TV stations) asks the man at the other end of the phone, who spoke with a Chinese accent, for financial help of 500 million rupees, needed to influence 50 lawmakers to vote for the Maoist chairman in the upcoming election for prime minister.

Republica could not independently verify the authenticity of the audio tape. We also could not talk to any Chinese embassy official for their comment on the contents of the audio tape, but Maoist leader Mahara has refuted the audio tape, in a statement issued late evening on Friday.

Mahara refutes TV reports

The UCPN (Maoist) has refuted news broadcasts by several television stations about purported talks between the party´s leader, Krishna Bahadur Mahara, and Chinese officials.

Issuing a press statement, Maoist International Bureau chief Krishna Bahadur Mahara said the presentation tilted Exclusive News aired by the Nepal 1 channel on Friday evening has left him stunned.

“I wish to clarify that the broadcast audio tape purportedly on exchanges with Chinese officials for purposes of horse-trading and to which my name has been linked is fabricated and totally baseless, misleading and fictitious,” he said.

Mahara said in the statement that the news report was a fabrication of lies in a calculated attempt at character assassination against him personally, and to sabotage the positive initiative taken by the party to end the current political deadlock. “I urge one and all not to be misled by such lies,” he added.

*********************************************

The text below is a transcription of the audio aired by the Nepal1 TV station:

Unknown person with Chinese accent: Mr Mahara, how is the trend in Nepal? And the next election is coming up and do you think hoping in the result?

Mahara: It is very near, right now it is also not clear.

Unknown person: Do you think Maoists can get enough seats?

Mahara: No chance. We are trying but it is so difficult.

Unknown person: What causing the problem to enough seats?

Mahara: We have already 10 to 15 seats but maybe around 50.

Unknown person: You need additional 50? And Mr Mahara what kind of help could help you to get the 50 seats?

Mahara: That is most difficult task, because the south center there are guided, control to them. So the first thing, it is necessary to neutralize south. Second thing some of the money also needed.

Unknown person: What the amount you are talking about?

Mahara: It is not clear. It must be discussed with our chairman.

Unknown person: Mr Mahara, I have one of my friends who is thinking about to help but he cannot come to Nepal. So we are wondering if there is possible we can set up a meeting somewhere else.

Mahara: Where is his convenience?

Unknown person: Do you think Hong Kong is possible for you?

Mahara: With whom does he want to meet?

Unknown person: For this matter only, you and the chairman. Nobody else.

Mahara: It is very difficult to move here and there to our chairman. When he goes to the Hong Kong everybody propagates. Because he was … (as heard) prime minister and he is the candidate of the prime minister also.

Unknown person: So you represent him to meet with my friend?

Mahara: Yes, I am ready, everywhere I can go, here and there, but this message must be sent to him - to our Prachanda. If you send the message to Prachanda and if it is difficult to you, then he can give me all authority.

Unknown person: OK, this our plan, Mr Mahara. We are thinking about to meet you first to talk about detail how to help Maoist to get the 50 seats.

Mahara: The most important place is if you have the China, China means in the Chengdu. It is the best place nobody knows.

Unknown person: This is very sensitive and we don´t want to have anything to do with between the government, you know that what I mean.

Mahara: Then Singapore is another place. In Hong Kong, there are lots of Nepalis, but Singapore is best.

Unknown person: …let me talk to my friend.

Mahara: Hong Kong also maybe... This evening I will call you.

Unknown person: Can you let me know me the possibilities of Hong Kong, next two days?

Mahara: In this phone?

Unknown person: Yes, I am waiting for your call by this number.

Mahara: From your source you must send this message to our chairman.

Unknown person: You want me to talk to Mr Chairman? I will call, OK.

**************************************************

Mahara: Your suggestion - I have talked with my chairman and we have also discussed. One thing is that someone is also talking with our chairman, that is correct.

Unknown person: I don´t know, so far from my side only my friend, me, you and Mr Chairman.

Mahara: But he has not concrete only this is the but I have discussed with my chairman. And he says because the election is now only four days left - from outside, minimum 50 members need. For 50 members, if we cost them then they minimum 10 million Nepalese rupees (1 crore) per person.

Unknown person: 10 million per person, that is 100 lac per person?

Mahara: Yes, 100 lac Nepalese rupees per person.

Unknown person: Alright. Actually, the friend that I have mentioned he might be… but I don´t want to mention his name over the phone for his own protection. Mr Mahara, you can come up with some kind of help; he wants to talk to you first because he needs to know detail due to his … if you will be able to pay a visit in Hong Kong.

Mahara: Yes, it is OK, but Hong Kong is there are so many Nepalese.

Unknown person: For other countries he will need the special visa and that will be people´s attention that he does not want but for Hong Kong he can go there and nobody will know from here.

Mahara: When?

Unknown person: We are open at any time but for you when will be good time?

Mahara: But it is only four days because we need before four days but I will try to tomorrow or today.

Unknown person: How long you need to stay in Hong Kong? One night?

Mahara: Yes, one night is sufficient.

Unknown person: OK, we can go anytime. So it is upto you.

Mahara: So I call to this 10 or 12 o´clock this afternoon. I can go this evening also. For discussion to me it is not sensitive but I can arrange anything in another side - another side means the side I suppose just I called an another name and please see my email. Please open after 10 minutes.

Unknown person: Yes, I am going to meeting, probably I will be able to check my email around 10 am Nepalese time and Mr Mahara if you go to the Hong Kong you just need to tell me the place where I can pick you up.

Mahara: OK.

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=22907

No comments:

Post a Comment